When You Can't Take it Anymore: Dealing With Problems

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2 Comments A + a -

calm button

Use this button when facing very stressful situations.
That's what I did this morning.
Why? 

  • I was worried about my teens.  
  • My son gets his hearing sentence this afternoon.  Will he be placed out of home or get sent back to me? After running away twenty times, I don't think he is ready to change.
  • My daughter is still not back home.  She ran off from the police yesterday.
Instead of quitting (wait, I cannot quit as a mother, anyway), I hit this imaginary button, thinking THIS PAIN (TOO) SHALL PASS.

When burdened, relax, it too will pass.

Do you feel the pain that it is too much, you cannot do anymore, that in the middle of the extreme painful emotion, you cannot imagine going through it quickly?
Here's another story. 
Last week, with both my teen son and daughter gone (they both ran away) I was at the point that the pain was suffocating me, I felt like I could not take it anymore.  I called the suicide hotline (1-800-273-TALK) out of desperation and helplessness.  I am glad I did because that night, I needed a reminder that my problem is temporary, that it will pass.  

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  Do not even think about ending your life."

Then I thought about my teens, what will happen to them when I am no longer around to support them?  They may be problematic now.  When I am gone, they can be more of a mess later.  

My son answered my general question a week ago on what can I do to meet him half way?  He answered, “Leave me alone.”  No matter what he thinks, he is a minor, and yes, he needs me.  


How to Take the Pain without Giving Up

  1. Imagine a button like above.
  2. If the arrow points to STRESS, turn it down to Calm.
  3. Then, press the whole button down to release relaxing music.
  4. Close your eyes and set the pain free from your chest. 

Keep Calm and Carry On Vintage Red Throw Pillow
Check out more Zazzle Pillows
“Stress is a part of life. . . By simply acknowledging, the triggers that set you off and imagining the button that calms you down . . . you can retrain yourself to push the right buttons that allow you to relax and feel at ease. . .  No situation is unsurmountable.”  From Five Good Minutes: 100 morning practices to help you calm and focused all day long.  By Brantley, MD, & Millstine
I hope this exercise can help you. It helped me. 
Have a good, relaxing day.
------------------------------------------------


Five Good Minutes: 100 Morning Practices to Help You Stay Calm and Focused All Day LongFive Good Minutes: 100 Morning Practices to Help You Stay Calm and Focused All Day Long by Jeffrey Brantley



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Five Good Minutes: 100 morning practices to help you stay calm and focused all day long. This book is to energize out mind and body every morning.

I used it for the first two days since I bought it and already love the book. It encourages me to think positively or stir to that direction. I like that each section is short and simple. I can follow it through easily.

My favorite part is on that imaginary button that you make up in your mind. You turn it from stress to calm, you press it to relax you . . . It helped me think as the book says, this difficult moment, too, will pass.

Get this book. I highly recommend it.

View all my reviews

If you like this post, get updates.
It's FREE.
Enter your email address:

Nurse Volunteer Certified Critical Care Cardiac Surgery

2 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
December 18, 2014 at 8:10:00 PM MST delete

I'm glad you figured out a way to solve your temporary problems. Jesus is your answer.
Hope your children return soon.

Reply
avatar

I would love to read your comments.