What Am I Thankful For?

Saturday, November 14, 2015 28 Comments A + a -


What am thankful for?
There's not just one, but more
And in no particular order
They are here, in no number

I am thankful for my daughter
She obeys the court order
She has been doing better
Not just her but her brother

I am thankful for the baker
The awesome cupcake maker
The cake's a diet breaker
Oh well, I'll "diet" later

I am thankful for my hobby
It sure does make me happy
Do you see my broccoli
That I display so proudly?

I am thankful for the park
The trees, the lake, and the ducks
Yesterday, they helped a lot
When I had my "downs" not "ups"

And although this is not fitting
I thank the trap for trapping
A mouse that's not inviting
In this picture I am displaying


My teens remained home. My daughter, in particular has not runaway. I was looking at their pictures yesterday and I pulled the one from six years ago when they were hanging on the monkey bars, kissing each other. They were (nearly) always in my view. They were always together playing, giggling . . . or arguing.

I put so little time gardening this year but yet I have some success. I have broccoli, green onions, kale, sage, and berries. The broccoli was sweet; I ate it raw as it was without dressing.

Last Thursday was especially difficult. I had another day in court with daughter yesterday. We were just there last week. I had to go with her every time because she is a minor. It went okay, yet, still stressful. The judge indirectly blamed me for the two tickets she earned last summer.

How many more tickets does she have to get?”

I looked at him, and then turned my head to her standing by me. Out of frustration and irritation, I responded,

 “Your honor, that should be a question to her, not to me . . . Should I lock her up in her room while I go to work and when I sleep? She is fifteen years old . . . “
After his lecture to us, he told us that her fine and community service will be waived if she goes to two assigned classes. We should be happy, right? But the court scene was like a nail hammered deeper into my chest. My heart aches as it is and for the judge to point out to me that I failed in parenting HURTS a LOT. I left the court room with tears rolling down my cheeks. . . And then she kept asking me if I was okay. 

Yesterday, I took a walk in the park for a little nature walk. Thank you, nature, for awakening my good spirits. The autumn trees, the blue skies and their reflection to the still water, the ducks, and the cold breeze were all so calm and beautiful.


What awakened your senses this week?

Nurse Volunteer Certified Critical Care Cardiac Surgery

28 comments

Write comments
November 14, 2015 at 4:27:00 AM MST delete

i love the poem at the beginning, and the way you share your little slices of life!! Welcome to the Ten Things of Thankful!

Reply
avatar
Kerry
AUTHOR
November 14, 2015 at 4:44:00 AM MST delete

Parenting is the hardest job there is.
Glad nature could help with stress.
Nice to see you for Ten Things of Thankful.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
November 14, 2015 at 8:42:00 AM MST delete

What a difficult week. Perhaps your tears spoke more to your daughter than any talks. Being outside in the world's beauty always helps ease stress. Peace.

Reply
avatar
November 14, 2015 at 9:00:00 AM MST delete

Thanks. This weekly theme helps me to refocus and recognize gifts I should be thankful for.

Reply
avatar
November 14, 2015 at 9:01:00 AM MST delete

Thanks, Kerry. Parenting teens, especially, is the hardest job I have had so far.

Reply
avatar
November 14, 2015 at 9:02:00 AM MST delete

That's what I am hoping, for her to realize the impact on others, on me, from her actions.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
November 14, 2015 at 11:50:00 AM MST delete

I think your poem was wonderful...and so glad the kids are doing ok today. I always remember the Rosanne show where her "good" daughter was blamed for a problem with the school class photo...or something like that..and Rosanne was called into the principals office where he told her that her daughter was no good..just like Rosanne..etc..Then it turned out her daughter did not do that thing..and Rosanne walked into the principals office and let him know..that today she was a good parent and that her daughter was good, but someday her daughter will do something stupid, because kids do stupid things, and that does not mean that she isn't a good parent. Ah, probably not explained well, but yes, we cannot take the blame nor the credit for what our kids do. I hope you hang up. I wish more people would realize that sometimes the courts are not helpful to parents that are struggling with parenting. I do. Hang in there. I hope the rest of the teen years go better.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
November 14, 2015 at 12:11:00 PM MST delete

hang up???? what the heck was I trying to say??? I think I meant hang in there ! LOL....need to check what I wrote more often !

Reply
avatar
Kathleen
AUTHOR
November 14, 2015 at 3:08:00 PM MST delete

Loved your poem! Glad to hear about the good things that help through the difficult times.. Wishing you better days ahead with your daughter..

Reply
avatar
November 14, 2015 at 5:07:00 PM MST delete

LOL.
I got the message. That helps me. I have not thought about my situation that way. I know I am not a perfect parent but I never wanted my kids to make bad choices. I try to set a good example, set rules, give consequences, and reward good behavior. I take them to counselling, I encouraged them to do sports . . .

Reply
avatar
May
AUTHOR
November 14, 2015 at 8:03:00 PM MST delete

Oh, I loved the photo of the two of them hanging from the bar together. I hope things settle down with her. Those teen years can be so very hard.

Reply
avatar
November 14, 2015 at 8:29:00 PM MST delete

Thanks Kathleen. Today is a very good day.

Reply
avatar
November 14, 2015 at 8:29:00 PM MST delete

Thanks Kathleen. Today is a very good day.

Reply
avatar
November 15, 2015 at 1:56:00 PM MST delete

Thanks. I thought so too. They were so cute kissing each other.

Reply
avatar
Kristi
AUTHOR
November 15, 2015 at 4:32:00 PM MST delete

Parenting is a tough job! Hang in there!

Reply
avatar
November 15, 2015 at 5:51:00 PM MST delete

Awakened senses...beautiful idea! I love your poem this week, too!
Like the others said, parenting is a rough job - hang in there!

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
November 15, 2015 at 6:24:00 PM MST delete

Clearly you are finding thankfuls at a difficult time, and that's another thing to be thankful for. I'm glad you have your cake and broccoli.

Reply
avatar
Pat B
AUTHOR
November 15, 2015 at 11:21:00 PM MST delete

I like your poem! I'm thinking those tears may have touched your daughter's heart, if not at that moment, maybe later and she'll begin to change for the better. Wishing all the best as you meet each challenge, and ones regarding the behavior of children are tough.

Reply
avatar
November 16, 2015 at 5:31:00 AM MST delete

That photo of them on the playground is precious!
Nature walks can help calm a restless soul, for sure. I'm glad you were able to take one.

Reply
avatar
Gingi
AUTHOR
November 16, 2015 at 4:20:00 PM MST delete

Beautiful poem and lovely photos!! - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Reply
avatar
November 17, 2015 at 9:23:00 AM MST delete

Thanks, Lisa. My teens actually are behaving better this year than last. Last year, they were both runaways.

Reply
avatar
November 17, 2015 at 3:30:00 PM MST delete

Cake and broccoli in the same sentence made me smile. :)

Reply
avatar
November 17, 2015 at 3:31:00 PM MST delete

Nature walks soothe my soul, that's for sure.

Reply
avatar
November 17, 2015 at 3:32:00 PM MST delete

Thanks. When I grow up, I want to be a great photographer just like you, except, I won't grow anymore. :)

Reply
avatar

I would love to read your comments.