Going Organic on a Budget

Thursday, March 10, 2016 2 Comments A + a -



In 2011, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Triple Negative Breast Cancer. After bilateral mastectomy and chemotherapy, I started my journey as a woman who is surviving. I am proud I am almost four-years- in-remission. In 2017, I can declare myself as an official breast cancer survivor.

This month, I learned that one of my supporters is now undergoing treatment for metastatic breast cancer. At least four years ahead of me, and who had only stage 0 to begin with, we are all surprised she jumped from 0, to on remission, to being survivor, to stage 4. I feel crushed and I worry about myself now as well. What if my cancer comes back?

Perhaps it is time to switch to an organic diet. But can I afford it?

This month, I am lucky enough to have some money set aside to experiment. I will try to invest on my health with organic food. Maybe this organic food diet will save me money later by not paying for medical bills and co-pays instead.

At the end of the month, I will have a hint if I can afford to stay on this diet. I will post how much I have spent. 

Wish me luck. Better yet, would you join me in this experiment?

Nurse Volunteer Certified Critical Care Cardiac Surgery

2 comments

Write comments
Sandee
AUTHOR
March 10, 2016 at 11:10:00 AM MST delete

We've not gone organic. Way expensive and I don't think the veggies look all that good either.

I hope this works for you.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Reply
avatar
March 11, 2016 at 5:04:00 PM MST delete

It is expensive indeed. I have you to shop at Costco and look/wait for sales in smaller stores. There are less selection too but enough I think that I can find good-looking produce.

Reply
avatar

I would love to read your comments.